Thursday, March 20, 2014

Nilibusu twiga! (I kissed a giraffe!)



     Two weeks ago, I took a break from traveling and spent the weekend in Nairobi.  On Saturday, I decided to take my brothers to the Giraffe Center just outside of Nairobi.  In the 120 acres of protected land, the center breeds endangered Rothschild Giraffes.  After about two years, all of the giraffes are introduced back into the wild in selected protected Kenyan lands.  We all had a lot of fun petting and especially feeding the giraffes.  My little brother Kyle (6 years old) was scared of the big giraffes and decided to make sure the baby giraffe was completely full by the time we left (he didn’t stop running back to get more food for a full twenty minutes)!  He also was scared of touching the tongue so he would throw the food at the baby’s tongue expecting the giraffe to be able to quickly maneuver his tongue to catch the small piece of food. (haha) Leanew (11 years old) had fun feeding the giraffes too, but I think he had even more fun taking pictures and videos of all of the people and giraffes!  He’s the one who captured my kiss with the giraffe!  The poor giraffe….I had to kiss him about six times before Leanew got it on camera!  

At least the giraffe got plenty of food out of the deal (I had to place a piece of food in my lips and the giraffes grabs it with his tongue).  Besides a little slobber and a slightly scratchy tongue, I’d say the giraffe was a decent kisser! : P  After we read about the giraffes and fed the giraffes one more time, we enjoyed some KFC (KFC is the only American fast food chain in Kenya. There are rumors of a McDonalds in Nairobi coming soon, but I’m not sure if that’s true.)  Because chicken is pretty expensive here in Kenya, the boys usually only have chicken for special occasions so they were excited to be eating some fried chicken!  Overall, it was a great day with my two little brothers!  (My parents decided I shouldn’t bring TJ (two years old) as he is only two and they weren’t sure how he’d react to giraffes.)




    


No comments:

Post a Comment